Documentum has few products for SharePoint users. These products are: Documentum Repository Services for SharePoint, My Documentum for SharePoint, Documentum SourceOne for SharePoint. In this post, I am going to describe these products.
Documentum Repository Services for SharePoint
Documentum Repository Services for SharePoint allows organizations to manage SharePoint Content and leverage it by re-routing content automatically to the EMC Documentum repository. Repository Services for SharePoint aggregates content from disparate SharePoint sites, providing centralized management and the ability to apply compliance, business, and operational control to SharePoint content without impacting the end user. SharePoint does not show that content is being managed by Documentum and SharePoint users and tools are not affected.
These repository services has platform for secure content including common policy enforcement across systems, utilization of existing retention and records processes, and structured disposition.
Unstructured content is not stored in SharePoint and so SharePoint SQL repository is not being overwhelmed by unstructured content thus providing organization with the substantial cost savings associated with hierarchical storage management, de-duplication, and reduced SQL server backup costs.
Repository services stores content in dynamically created folder location where policies and rules can be applied automatically. All of SharePoint related properties are stored in an accessible XML file for future use.
Once stored in Documentum, the content can be managed in the same way as any other Documentum object – retention policy can be applied to the content and it can be categorized as a specific type of content, routed through a workflow, published to a web site, etc.
This capability improves overall content manageability, enhances performance and scalability across organization’s information architecture, and reduces storage costs.
My Documentum for SharePoint
My Documentum for SharePoint provides native access to the EMC Documentum Content Server through the SharePoint user interface. Users can access their Documentum library through SharePoint interface while maintaining control and security over their content through Documentum.
Documentum includes integrated web parts that can be easily used with any existing SharePoint site. These web parts provide direct user access to content that is being managed within a Documentum Content Server repository through the SharePoint user interface.
Users can easily configure SharePoint to include Documentum specific functions such as view, and edit the content, lifecycles, and renditions as well as leverage advanced search capabilities in Documentum libraries.
It also has the following features:
- It provides advanced content protection through a single security model applied to all content, regardless of application. My Documentum for SharePoint is a Documentum client that emulates the SharePoint user experience.
- It provides the appropriate level of centralized document control and policy management to SharePoint users.
- It preserves project information that could be re-used in future.
- It leverages single sign-on using either Documentum or SharePoint credentials.
- It provides virtual document creation capabilities with multiple nested documents in multiple formats.
- It provides renditions management to allow rendition of documents in a variety of popular formats. View all renditions in the repository even those created by other content transformation applications.
- It leverages the full capabilities of Documentum content management platform for secure content including common policy enforcement across systems, utilization of retention and records management processes and structured disposition.
- It supports critical data management requirements, including regulatory compliance, data retention, and document lifecycle management throughout the enterprise.
- Define specific sequence of lifecycle as content passes through specific phases of the lifecycle such as creation, review, and approval.
- Use Documentum tools to customize the display of attributes within web parts providing consistency across all applications. A separate configuration mode affects only the Documentum web parts.
- It provides quick, out-of-box deployment with no customization required.
SharePoint makes content widely accessible while Documentum enhances protection of content. Documentum enables content security and provides solutions for encryption, access control, and fraud protection. This way users can leverage the full capabilities of Documentum content repository while providing easy to use, widely accessible solution for SharePoint users.
Documentum SourceOne for SharePoint
Documentum SourceOne for SharePoint helps organizations to improve performance of SharePoint environment, reduce backup times to meet service level agreements and reduce operational costs.
By externalizing active content, the burden of SharePoint servers can be reduced resulting in quicker search and retrieval times and lower primary storage costs. Storage utilization monitoring ensures that current investments in storage resources are fully optimized.
Inactive content can be moved out of SharePoint environment. By archiving inactive content to a centrally managed archive, your organization can employ proactive information governance strategy and benefit from centralized content archiving. This enables the consistent application of retention, disposition, and overall lifecycle management policies and ensures that the right data is retained and managed according to industry and corporate regulations. By archiving SharePoint content into the same central archive as other unstructured content search and discovery is simplified. Organizations can ensure that critical content is retained and quickly find and produce content when required to do so in audits, investigations, and litigations.
Documentum SourceOne for SharePoint allows user to continue their work in the environment of their choice. It ensures user transparency and maintains complete content accessibility to both active and archived content from within SharePoint. This product leverages Microsoft recommended APIs, maintain native Microsoft integrations, existing workflows, and explicit document links.
Documentum SourceOne for SharePoint enables organizations to manage the explosive growth of information and proliferation of inactive or orphaned SharePoint sites and all the content kept within them. Proactive removal of SharePoint content from supported Microsoft SQL databases and archival them into EMC SourceOne can be automated based on rules and policies.
This product would help to reduce IT costs associated with information retention and disposition by leveraging tiered storage and deduplication capabilities, and driving efficiency in archiving applications. It also enables common policy management and information access across many applications, delivering integrated archiving and compliance.